Hello Row by Row Experience fans!
Over 22,000 of you saw our Simple Sham Facebook post. Many of you shared it with your friends and thousands downloaded the free pattern. Here’s a little more about the Simple Sham project we thought you might like.
Simple Sham is a pattern designed by Jeannette Kitlan, creator of our exciting new program, Row by Row Junior, coming next summer. The pattern is one of many free project patterns that will be available to kids and their families. Jeannette adapted it for Row by Row Studio’s adult sewing audience.
Jeannette made the Simple Sham sample from a kit she picked up in 2014 while rowing at Brooklyn General Store in Brooklyn, NY. You can still get the row pattern from them.
Simple Sham is just that—simple! It’s designed to get kids sewing and build some functionality into the rows they make. Perfection is not important. Learning to use a sewing machine is.
But Jeannette knows that many of you are savvy sewers already, so she added a few tips just for you.
- For extra body, she used white denim twill, prewashed to soften and preshrink, as her sham fabric.
- She used Shape-Flex, an all-purpose woven fusible interfacing from Pellon, on the back of the row to give it extra body equivalent to the denim twill.
- Shape-Flex is ideal for fusing to the back of soft quilting cottons to transform them into decorator weight fabric.
- The entire sham front could also be fused to lightweight fleece, like Pellon 987F, and some machine quilting added to enhance the row and the strips around it.
- The sham could be layered like a quilt also and finished with a traditional binding for a pop of color around the edge.
We hope you enjoy making your own Simple Sham. Send us photos of your creations. Get the link to your free pattern below.
About Row by Row Junior™ coming to local quilt shops summer 2017…
It’s for kids, age 6-14, who travel along with an adult. The kids collect free row patterns designed just for them to make. They’re encouraged to learn to sew with family help and support from www.rowbyrowexperience.com.
Row by Row Junior starts June 21 and ends on Labor Day just like adult Row by Row Experience®.
There are five kid-tested row patterns in 2017. Local shops will select one of these to offer as their free pattern. Kids must be present to get the free patterns. Kids will enjoy travelling to new places and experiencing all the wonder of color and creativity that quilt shops offer.
Shops will make up unique Junior row kits. Kids do not need to be present to buy the kits which will include the pattern too. So you can bring them home as souvenirs or gifts for the special children in your life.
Row by Row Experience® founder, Janet Lutz, writes, “We want to enhance your Row by Row Experience® with “kid friendly” educational materials designed to:
- foster the love of fabric and machine sewing,
- strengthen inter-generational family relationships, and
- support local quilt shops everywhere.”
We hope you liked learning about Row by Row Junior. Make plans to share your summer rowing with a special child in your life.
Here’s the Simple Sham pattern. Click here: Simple Sham pdf.